Friday, June 8, 2012

Paint Party Friday: Week 13, Year 2 Check In Featured Artist: Kat Sloma

image courtesy of  Kat Sloma

Welcome to Week 13 of Paint Party Friday (Year 2) and to the next edition of our Featured Artist Series! (Would you like to be a PPF Featured Artist? Please click here for details!) This week we are thrilled to feature a talented artist who inspired many of us to "liberate our art"** last year. Please welcome Kat Sloma of The Kat Eye Studio!

1. Please tell us a bit about your personal history with painting. (When did you start painting? How has your painting evolved since you first started?) Up until high school, I always took art classes. Watercolor painting was my love at the time. Sadly, as I neared the end of high school, all of the college prep classes filled my schedule and slowly art was dropped. It wasn’t until a couple of years ago, more than 20 years after high school, when I moved to Italy for a temporary work assignment that I felt called to paint again. But this time, I wanted bright vivid colors, something I had never learned to do in watercolors. I decided to go with acrylics and just started playing.

My first few paintings were from photographs, but this quickly lost its appeal for me. Since photography is my primary art, I felt like I could already create imagery that represented real life. I discovered I was craving to paint colorful, abstract art. I wanted to paint color and emotion, rather than represent reality, but I didn’t know how to get there. I was lucky enough to take Flora Bowley’s Bloom True course at the Do What You Love Retreat in England last year. That course helped me push through my preconceived approaches to painting toward abstraction. I’m still figuring out how to paint what I feel.

2. What are your favorite techniques, media and tools to use in creating your paintings? Right now, my favorite tools are my hands and fingers! I love the feel of paint on my fingers, smearing it around the canvas. I also use my spray bottle a lot. I love what water does to the paint – blending and dripping. It’s so unpredictable! I also like working with layers, building up multiple layers and seeing what emerges.

3. What is your favorite thing to paint? Why? My favorite thing to paint is really color. Bright, bold color! Where else can I choose a color and create based on my mood? I love color in my photography, but I am limited to what is already there. With painting I can pick colors that appeal to me. It’s interesting to see how I’m drawn to some colors over and over again.

image courtesy of Kat Sloma

4. What is your proudest painting moment and/or greatest painting achievement so far? My proudest painting moment was last summer, when I finished my first abstract painting completely on my own. Instead of following a photograph or an instructor, I felt my own way through the process. I started by choosing my colors and letting the painting evolve as I built up the layers. I could never have predicted how it turned out. I was pleased to see that I could paint this way and end up with a finished piece of art! Painting is so different from photography, where I compose an image from what is already there.

5. What’s next in your painting future? Hopefully, painting regularly again is in my future! After last summer’s success I haven’t been back to painting in a long time. My creative inspiration ebbs and flows in many directions… painting, photography, writing and music. The pull to paint is coming back, though. There is something about painting… I just know it’s not done with me yet! I always have my easel set up and paints available for when inspiration strikes. I have this feeling that someday my painting and my photography will come together into one art form somehow. I’m going to continue to let things evolve and see what happens!

Thank you, Kat! One final question... Last year many of our PPFers participated in your Liberate Your Art Postcard Swap. We are very excited to see that it is back for a second year, would you mind telling us a little bit more about the motivation behind it and how we can sign up? Yay! I'm so excited to tell you about the swap. The idea formed when I was living in Italy, from so many influences... I truly treasured each piece of mail I received while I lived in Italy, each one was a physical connection to people far away. I also started to print my images on postcards, and send those to my friends with a little note. The postcards were inexpensive to send and my friends always loved to get these little surprises in the mail. It's amazing how excited people would get to receive a simple picture with a note on the back! Knowing it was my artwork made it even more special to them. I made many new connections during my time in Italy too, with other artists online. I wanted a way to increase those connections, and bring them into the real world. Seeing the way my postcards were received and wanting to increase connections between artists, I got this idea about the swap. I thought it would be a great way to encourage others to reproduce their work and share it as a simple postcard, to brighten the day of those who received them, and to make connections between artists of disparate mediums in disparate places. It worked better than I ever thought it would! It was such an amazing experience to have so many artists from around the world sharing their art with others. I received so many comments from people who said this was the first time they had printed their work, or shared it with others. It pushed them out of their comfort zone in a good way. That was an unexpected and wonderful benefit to the swap!

I truly believe that good things happen when you Liberate Your Art into the world. I've seen it, first hand! This swap is a great way to encourage artists to share their art and connect with others in new ways. You can learn more and sign up for all of the swap details at this page on my website: http://kateyestudio.com/liberate-your-art-postcard-swap. I hope to see many of the Paint Party Friday participants joining in again this year!


That sounds great, Kat! If you would like to see more of Kat's art, please visit her at: 

http://kateyestudio.com/

NOW IT'S YOUR TURN...
WE WANT YOU TO SUBMIT YOUR STORY!

**Would you like to be a PPF Featured Artist? Click here for details!**

Another creative and hopping party last week with so many wonderful paintings!

Now, here is our check-in for this week's party:

Please make sure to use your post URL address NOT your blog home page URL address as there are many late visitors who get confused as to which post is for PPF when they arrive (after Friday) at your website. If you are unfamiliar with Mr. Linky, an explanation of how this tool works can be found on Week 1 and Week 2 Check-Ins.


Have a fun and creative week!

35 comments:

  1. Always fun to be here and read about the featured artist!!! Thank you for hosting this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful interview with Kat!
    Thanks so much for featuring her!!
    She is uber-talented and so inspiring!
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, an inspiring interview - from a left-brainer who struggles to get abstract art to "work".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for featuring me this week! I hope lots of PPF-ers join the Liberate Your Art swap this year. And thanks again for your encouragement to get painting again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview - LOVE that abstract!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great interview and how fun the postcard swap. Kat is quite talented. Happy PPF to all. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for opening the paint party! Looking forward to seeing what everyone is up to.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading about Kat's art journey. I look forward to seeing more of her art here and on her blog, and also to seeing the photos/paint mix she spoke of.
    I am interested in the postcard swap so will go check that out too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too enjoyed this interview of Kat's journey. Its always fun to see what people are doing and why and what got them started on it. The postcard swap sounds like fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always delighted to read about other artist's journeys!

    And I've signed up for the Liberate Your Art Swap. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy PPF everyone! TGIF! Off to office, tackle this day and then start with a weekend full of friends and fun activities. And of course visit all PPF participants. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely to read Kat's interview. I enjoyed taking part in the liberate your art project last year and have just signed up to do it again this year (but I'll remember to put my details on them this time!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to see Kat featured, love her art and photos and of course, the postcard-swap! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice interview Kat, I think the postcard-swap sounds very interesting. Happy PPF to all of you..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi everyone, have just linked my painting today. Looking forward to seeing all your blog submission today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, such fun to be back here amongst you all, great interview, thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice feature, Kat's photography and paintings are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats..beautiful feature on Kat..yay! Gorgeous art and wonderful reading!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful interview ~ Kat your art sounds very liberating ~ Eva and Kristin ~ thanks for hosting PPF ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello to all, I join again this holiday has been a pleasure to read the interview with Kat, an artist with charisma and courage. Saludos desde España

    ReplyDelete
  21. I participated in the swap last year and it was a lot of fun (a lot of work for Kat which was greatly appreciated) Lovely interview!

    ReplyDelete
  22. such an interesting interview from Kat, really enjoyed reading about her art journey so far!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fab interview Kat. Your work is so colorful and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great interview. Happy PPF everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love these interviews, they are always so interesting. Kat, your artwork is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loved meeting you Kat and I love bright bold color too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I"ve no idea if I've written to you yet already, but incase not let me say here how much I enjoyed reading about your and your art!
    Love all that I see of yours! Great interview too! Bravo!!!! and HPPF!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Kat, I love your amazing use of color and really enjoyed reading about the developing technique of a fellow finger-painter!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful colors and unique in design. Happy PPF and looking forward to postcards!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Loved the colours and the feel of paint...o it's so true! Love it! I haven't done that much though :) Best Wishes Kat!
    Good Day Eva & Kristin:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. My first link up to the party. My post is from earlier this month, but it says what I've been doing. More posts of my paintings to come. Thanks for doing this...it gets me out of my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete